Saturday, August 30, 2008

This is my sketch that I did for the Virtual Sketch Drawing...I came across it through Sherry Roberts after commenting on her photograph that she had posted on her blog--and whose photograph was the picture used for this month's sketch. When tackling this drawing, I thought it was extremely difficult to sketch with all the intricacies involved in the plant. At one point, I could feel my anxiety starting to peak...as it was hard to see where I was in the picture...however, it started falling into place and got easier...once I loosened up and told myself it did not have to look entirely like the photograph. I used watercolor and then ink to help bring out the details...I still have time just doing to values in paintings. I am looking forward to doing next month's sketch and thank you Sherry for getting me involved in this endeavor and also for allowing the use of your beautiful photograph.

12 comments:

Rose Welty said...

Very unique interpretation - I like it.

BARBARA WEEKS said...

I really like your color choices and the line work is lovely.

Anita Davies said...

It's gorgeous!
What is the 'virtual sketch' thingy...is it a group?

Leslie Hawes said...

I love the result!
I found the cabbage to be a challenge, very like drawing a rose.
You have a great drawing, here.

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous - what beautiful colours!

Gail Bartel said...

Hey Susan, This looks great. I love the colors. It's hard to loosen up. I tend to paint tight but I'm trying to take more risks.
Thanks for the view.
gail

laura said...

I had the same worries about the photo's "difficulty"--I like the way you resolved this problem--the leaves radiate out from the center in a very graceful way.

Stacy said...

The use of ink to define the cabbage is very nice with your loose style. I really like the splatter of purple dots at the bottom too!

Cathy Gatland said...

Lovely colours and free, expressive lines - I was also feeling anxious until deciding to loosen up, then enjoyed it a lot!

Kari Gibson said...

I love the looseness and spontaneaous look to this - and the colours are scrummy!

cathyswatercolors said...

Watercolor and ink.... nice

Carol said...

I really like your beautiful use of ink & color! I had that same peaking of anxiety about mid-way through.